The Comanches: A History of White's Battalion, Virginia Cavalry by Frank M. Myer

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010
      Has anyone read this book or used it as a reference? I have not seen it and I can't read it online. Before I consider buying it I'm curious about its value as a resource. I see Harsh and other have cited it. I've read that it compares to John Casler in that it is "light and witty."

      Unfortunately, buying a reprint will cost me at about $75.

      Thank's for your input,

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010
        Have you tried to see if Internet Archive has it?

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010
          Larry, I think I have it at home. If so, I will be happy to loan it to you or copy pertinent portions.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010

            I checked the three sites I know of including that one:

            http://books.google.com/books?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8

            http://www.archive.org/index.php

            http://openlibrary.org/

            This one helps find hard copies:

            http://www.worldcat.org/

            And this site sometimes is helpful:

            http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

            If anyone knows of other websites please let me know.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010

              I may take you up on your offer(s).

              I don't mind spending the money but for one or two quotes or footnotes, I'm not sure of the value. Ideally, I would look at it and decide whether it is worth the cost. Ted A. said he did not have it in his library; haven't checked at the HF library or Western Maryland Regional Library but my guess is neither has it (W. MD online search negative). WorldCat shows a copy in Leesburg.

              Thanks,

              Larry