RE: [TalkAntietam] 1795 Harpers Ferry Musket and Antietam/South Mountain

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010
      Matt,
      This off the top of my head, but will provide you some direction to do some research. At South Mountain, Sept. 14, 1862 the 2nd USSS was part of Phelps' New York Iron Brigade, First Division, First Army Corps. They were not heavily engaged, but the Confedeate forces they opposed included the 5th Alabama Regiment. It is possible that this early in the war the Alabamaians might have been armed with inferior weapons such as this.
      Not to insult your intelligence, but try scanning the roster of the 5 AL Inf, which may be tough to find, for any matching initials. Frederick Todd's American Military Equipage may provide an indication o the armarment of the regiment. If you find a maching set if initials run the soldeirs service record, (some on-line services can provie this, or pay a researcher at the National Archives) and see if was present, and/or captured at South Mt. You probably knew this, but thought I would add it, just in case.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010

        I was basically just throwing out what information I have and what and I was
        looking for .  I wanted to see if anyone could suggest anything that I hadn't
        thought of already.

        I have scanned through the rosters of the 5th Alabama and the 5th South Carolina
        which was also nearby.  So far nothing.  I'm going to keep looking though.

        Thanks for your advice.

        Matt