Re: [TalkAntietam] Information on Firearms Used by Regiments at Antietam

  • Jim Rosebrock
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
      Thank you Tom

      ________________________________
      From: Thomas G. Clemens <tgclemens@...>
      To: "TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com" <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, October 28, 2010 9:42:53 AM
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Information on Firearms Used by Regiments at
      Antietam

      Not really. Record keeping was just getting organized at the federal level.
      Years ago I searched the Ordnance returns for some artillery, and nothing
      existed before last quarter of 1862. And this was a US Regular battery! Fred
      Todd's U.S. Military Equipage has some info, and you can go through and pull out
      some general information.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
        No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW site and add as we go along????

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
          Hi Tom, Jim,

          I've tried to collect some of the data about small arms by regiment on AotW as I've found it. It's been very hit or miss. I share your regret that there is no clean, single source. I see material in Regimentals, correspondence, state Histories and the like from time to time. Joe Bilby helped me with info about the 4th New Jersey Infantry, for example, here: http://antietam.aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=377

          Thanks to Johnson & Anderson's Artillery Hell, I have been able to cross artillery to units fairly completely on the website (I think). If that's of interest, you can start here: http://antietam.aotw.org/weapons.php?weapon_id=all

          If anyone does well-documented research in this area, I'd be very happy to put the results on AotW - for sure.

          Brian

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
            I have the Quarterly Ordnance returns on microfilm, and even though they
            start with the 4th Quarter 1862 (on hand December 62) they might be helpful
            in detailing Federal arms.

            Send me a list of the regiments sorted by number and state and I could
            check them.

            Dave

            wrote:

            > No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is
            curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what
            I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for
            the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW
            site and add as we go along????

            > ________________________________
            > From: Thomas G. Clemens
            <tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>>

          • Jim Rosebrock
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
              Thanks everyone. Dave, I will send you a list. It is First and Twelfth Corps
              units. I am sure Confederate information on units under Jackson on the northern
              end of the field is even more sketchy.
              Regards
              Jim

              ________________________________

              wrote:

              > No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is
              curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what
              I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for
              the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW
              site and add as we go along????

              > ________________________________
              > From: Thomas G. Clemens
              <tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>>

            • Thomas G. Clemens
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                Thanks Dave. That was the problem I had. The return show what they had on-hand in December. Can that be extrapolated back to Spetember, well...

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>

                "TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>" <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>>

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Well, obviously there are going to be differences, I agree. but December 62
                  at least gives you a starting point. As more info becomes available, you
                  can adjust. such changes can be noted on the site, with a caveat that the
                  returns date from December, not September.

                  The QOR also provides counts of mixed or secondary arms, so you might get a
                  sense of what they started out with - for example, now 90% of the regiment
                  has enfields, but 10% still have Austrian .54s.

                  I found it to be a building process.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 29, 2010
                    Absolutely Dave, and I did not mean to sound dismissive. The QOR are a huge leap from where we were, and I suspect Fred todd was using them too. Thanks