Information on Firearms Used by Regiments at Antietam

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
      Does anyone know if there is a standard reference or references where I could go to see how the different regiments at Antietam were armed (ie Model 1861 Springfield, Enfield, smoothbore, etc.

      Thanks
      Jim
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
        Not really. Record keeping was just getting organized at the federal level. Years ago I searched the Ordnance returns for some artillery, and nothing existed before last quarter of 1862. And this was a US Regular battery! Fred Todd's U.S. Military Equipage has some info, and you can go through and pull out some general information.

        Does anyone know if there is a standard reference or references where I could go to see how the different regiments at Antietam were armed (ie Model 1861 Springfield, Enfield, smoothbore, etc.

        Thanks
        Jim

      • Jim Rosebrock
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
          Thank you Tom

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
            No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW site and add as we go along????

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
              Hi Tom, Jim,

              I've tried to collect some of the data about small arms by regiment on AotW as I've found it. It's been very hit or miss. I share your regret that there is no clean, single source. I see material in Regimentals, correspondence, state Histories and the like from time to time. Joe Bilby helped me with info about the 4th New Jersey Infantry, for example, here: http://antietam.aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=377

              Thanks to Johnson & Anderson's Artillery Hell, I have been able to cross artillery to units fairly completely on the website (I think). If that's of interest, you can start here: http://antietam.aotw.org/weapons.php?weapon_id=all

              If anyone does well-documented research in this area, I'd be very happy to put the results on AotW - for sure.

              Brian

            • DPowell334@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                I have the Quarterly Ordnance returns on microfilm, and even though they
                start with the 4th Quarter 1862 (on hand December 62) they might be helpful
                in detailing Federal arms.

                Send me a list of the regiments sorted by number and state and I could
                check them.

                Dave

                wrote:

                > No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is
                curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what
                I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for
                the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW
                site and add as we go along????

                > ________________________________
                > From: Thomas G. Clemens
                <tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>>

              • Jim Rosebrock
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Thanks everyone. Dave, I will send you a list. It is First and Twelfth Corps
                  units. I am sure Confederate information on units under Jackson on the northern
                  end of the field is even more sketchy.
                  Regards
                  Jim

                  ________________________________

                  wrote:

                  > No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is
                  curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what
                  I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for
                  the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW
                  site and add as we go along????

                  > ________________________________
                  > From: Thomas G. Clemens
                  <tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>>

                • Thomas G. Clemens
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                    Thanks Dave. That was the problem I had. The return show what they had on-hand in December. Can that be extrapolated back to Spetember, well...

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>

                    "TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>" <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                      Well, obviously there are going to be differences, I agree. but December 62
                      at least gives you a starting point. As more info becomes available, you
                      can adjust. such changes can be noted on the site, with a caveat that the
                      returns date from December, not September.

                      The QOR also provides counts of mixed or secondary arms, so you might get a
                      sense of what they started out with - for example, now 90% of the regiment
                      has enfields, but 10% still have Austrian .54s.

                      I found it to be a building process.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 29, 2010
                        Absolutely Dave, and I did not mean to sound dismissive. The QOR are a huge leap from where we were, and I suspect Fred todd was using them too. Thanks