Re: 2nd MD (US) Question (was: thanks)

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2001
      Tom and Teej said about the 2ndMD:

      ...the 2nd Maryland Union played a prominent part in the assault on
      Burnside Bridge. They were part of Nagle's brigade and charged up
      the Rohrersville Road towards the bridge under the command of Col.
      Jacob Duryea. They were repulsed with signifigant losses..."

      and

      "... Eventually the regiment reformed on the plowed hill near the spot
      where it had begun its charge. it remained there trading long range
      shots with the Confederates, until its men ran out of ammunition."
      So, IMO, I would say it was quite possible your inquirer's story has
      some validity...

      Thanks for the quick answers. This helps a lot. Actually, I'd
      venture that the following part of the original question is now LESS
      likely to be true ...

      "He and his brother supposedly laid down under a fallen tree with
      their fallen comrades and played dead until the confederates had
      passed by"

      What Confederates would these have been? If the 2nd MD was repulsed
      short of the bridge, and reformed near where they started, then none
      of the men of that Regt could have been overrun by Confederates. The
      enemy were all across the creek. That is, unless some of those
      Georgians counterattacked across the bridge :)

      Brian
    • Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2001
        Brian Downey wrote:

        <Snip>

        > What Confederates would these have been? If the 2nd MD was repulsed
        > short of the bridge, and reformed near where they started, then none
        > of the men of that Regt could have been overrun by Confederates. The
        > enemy were all across the creek. That is, unless some of those
        > Georgians counterattacked across the bridge :)

        Oops! Missed that part. Brian, you're absolutely right. The Georgians
        continued to fire away even after the 2nd Maryland withdrew and didn't
        stop until they were ordered to withdraw due to dwindling ammunition.
        Interesting to note that quite a few of the men who held those heights
        for so long were loathed to give it up even after it was obvious they
        could hold no longer. Lt. Col. William R. Holmes, 2nd Ga, rushed to the
        creek's edge waving his sword and shouting at the Federals until he was
        killed, his body "riddled" with bullets. 17 members of Co. H, 20th Ga.,
        were captured and barely escaped being executed on the spot by the
        intervention of Lt. Col. Thomas Bell, 28th Ohio, Bell himself was killed
        minutes later by a fragment of an exploding shell as he watered his
        horse from the creek.

        Teej
      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2001
          Mark Smith wrote:

          > Oops! Missed that part. Brian, you're absolutely right. The Georgians
          > continued to fire away even after the 2nd Maryland withdrew and didn't
          > stop until they were ordered to withdraw due to dwindling ammunition.

          The fact that their right was being turned didn't help much either ;)

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          westwood@...