Need a favor

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
      Does anyone have Paula Gudjunis's email? Thanks!

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 15, 2010
        Hi Gerry - if you mean Paula Gidjunis :) - my email is 128thpa@...

        What do you need?

        Paula
        Does anyone have Paula Gudjunis's email? Thanks!

      • G E M
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
          Gang;

          This weekend I am coordinating a Antietam/Sharpsburg Battlefield Stomp from the Facebook group of the same name. I am going to be doing a presentation in the afternoon on Saturday about R H Anderson's division reinforcing the Alabamians and Carolinians in the Sunken Road and the disaster that ultimately caused.

          In my historical fiction novel None But Heroes, I have interaction by courier messages between BG Roger Pryor and MG James Longstreet. Here is the full exchange of the messages:

          First note from Pryor to Longstreet:
          “General Longstreet: As General Anderson is disabled by wounding, I am now in command. The men will hold their positions until the last one is taken.”

          First note from Longstreet to Pryor in reply:
          “We did not come here to be taken or surrender, we came here to fight.”

          Second message from Pryor to Longstreet:
          “General, for God’s sake, send up some guns or we will be unable to hold against the fresh numbers of the enemy.
          R.A. Pryor, Cmdg. Division
          General Longstreet.”

          Second message from Longstreet in reply to Pryor:
          “The guns will be sent, dear General; this is a hard fight and we had all rather die than lose it.
          Yr. Obt Servant,
          J. Longstreet
          General R. A. Pryor.”

          My needing a favor is this: I did not make up the dialogue (and I doubt I could have made up such an exchange) but have been unable to locate the sources wherein both messages exchanges were mentioned. I thought perhaps Longstreet might have had the text of the messages exchanges in footnoting in his Memoir or possibly in his article "The Invasion of Maryland" in B&L Vol. 2, but I have had no success.

          Can anyone help me pin down the source or sources where the message exchanged is mentioned and the messages contents given? And also the same for the verbal comments?

          Thanks so much! (I need the information before Friday at noon.)

          Very respectfully,
          Your Obdt. Servant,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers

          “Acquire the correct view of life and learn to see the world in its true light. Doing so will enable you to perform good deeds for your neighbors, to live life pleasantly, to perform your duty in all things and with honor, and when called home by our creator, to leave this world without regret.” - R.E. Lee
        • RoteBaron@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
            Gerry,

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
              Okay. Great. I have that book BTW... and Krick's article is an excellent one.

              Thanks Tom Shay!

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
                Tom Shay;

                Can you tell me where the two messages from Pryor and Longstreet with respects to the artillery etc are to be found?

                Gerry Mayers

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
                  Gerry,

                  I was unaware of your Facebook group and have now joined it.

                  I will try to re-arrange plans so I can join you for Tom Clemens' trek on Sunday.

                  Tom Shay

[...]

                  ------------------------------------

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • G E M
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016
                    Ok. Be sure to check out the schedule pdf on the group page....we are not meeting at the VC on Sunday.

                    Be great to see you!

[...]

                    Yahoo Groups Links
                  • RoteBaron@...
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 13, 2016

                      Gerry,

                      Longstreet's reply to Pryor is on Page 25 of "Lee's Tarnished Lieutenant: James Longstreet and His Place in Southern History" by William Garrett Piston.

                      You can look up at bottom of page 25 here;

                      https://books.google.com/books?id=n24-UIO3TuUC&pg=PA9&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false