130th PA Whistler

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
      I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
      remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
      but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
      the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
      Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
        Now I remember. The book was "My Little War Experience" by Edward
        Spangler. Still looking for info on Simon Whistler, Co. E.

        Thanks.

        On Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 05:27 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

        > I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
        > remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
        > but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
        > the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
        > Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
          http://www.archive.org/details/mylittlewarexper00inspan

          Now I remember. The book was "My Little War Experience" by Edward
          Spangler. Still looking for info on Simon Whistler, Co. E.

          Thanks.

          On Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 05:27 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

          > I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
          > remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
          > but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
          > the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
          > Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.

        • Thomas G. Clemens

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
                Hey!

                not often I get pre-event promotion for meeting with one of the greats! No offense here!

                Steve Bockmiller

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                  1. Where was he during the battle?

                  2. Where was he during the campaign?

                  3. What are the best sources for Longstreet during the MD Campaign?

                  Thanks,
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                    Steve:

                    WOW!! You do not pull lightly do you?

                    To answer your three questions, I would suggest:

                    1. Taken at the Flood by Joe Harsh, who just recently passed away, that covers the entire campaign including the battle;
                    2. The Ezra Carman battle manuscript (specifically on the battle) can be downloaded from the Internet; I have attached the pdf file here for your review. (It is at least seventy pages of small type etc...so be prepared to be reading for a while!!!!!)
                    3. While Longstreet's own memoirs can be confusing, FMTA is a good source as is the memoir of G Moxley Sorrel. The excellent book about the Washington Artillery by William Minor Owen has some good anecdotal information as does the articles in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.
                    4. Also attached is a personal bibliographic reading list I prepared to go with a presentation I put together about the Maryland Campaign to give to CWRT groups.

                    I hope all this helps! And may I ask the reason(s) for the questions about Longstreet during the Maryland Campaign???

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 24, 2010

                      WADR, I am aware of Harsh and Carman, I was wondering if anyone knew
                      anything specific without my having to dig. It simply occurred to me
                      that Longstreet is never really mentioned in any of his accounts on
                      the right wing of the army, which he commanded. It just got me thinking
                      that he's not mentioned a lot and thought I'd see if anyone had any
                      great stories about where he was. Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      On Friday, October 22, 2010, at 09:22 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > Steve:
                      >
                      > WOW!! You do not pull lightly do you?
                      >
                      > To answer your three questions, I would suggest:
                      >
                      > 1. Taken at the Flood by Joe Harsh, who just recently passed away,
                      > that covers the entire campaign including the battle;
                      > 2. The Ezra Carman battle manuscript (specifically on the battle) can
                      > be downloaded from the Internet; I have attached the pdf file here for
                      > your review. (It is at least seventy pages of small type etc...so be
                      > prepared to be reading for a while!!!!!)
                      > 3. While Longstreet's own memoirs can be confusing, FMTA is a good
                      > source as is the memoir of G Moxley Sorrel. The excellent book about
                      > the Washington Artillery by William Minor Owen has some good anecdotal
                      > information as does the articles in Battles and Leaders of the Civil
                      > War.
                      > 4. Also attached is a personal bibliographic reading list I prepared
                      > to go with a presentation I put together about the Maryland Campaign
                      > to give to CWRT groups.
                      >
                      > I hope all this helps! And may I ask the reason(s) for the questions
                      > about Longstreet during the Maryland Campaign???

                      > God. --Anonymous

                    • Thomas G. Clemens
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2010
                        Several letters from Longstreet to Carman. Nothing spectacular, but some interesting stuff.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
                          "
                          I'm interested in anything you have. Thanks. One man's "nothing spectacular"...

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
                            Steve...

                            Actually Longstreet was all over the field on September 17th...from the left centre to the right... if you read the Carman MS.