Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Regimental numbers during the Maryland Campaign

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
      Larry,

      I looked into the game's help file and found the descriptions of the levels, as follows:

      There are five levels of experience, each adding a different number of blocks to the regiment's Morale Bar.
      a.. Green troops (2 blocks) have little or no combat experience.
      b.. Trained troops (3 blocks) have been in limited combat and have been in service for a while.
      c.. Veteran troops (4 blocks) have solid combat experience, some positive and negative.
      d.. Crack troops (5 blocks) have solid combat experience, most of it positive and successful.
      e.. Elite troops (6 blocks) are the best troops in your army and will stand with you to the bitter end.
      Tom Shay

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010

        Thank you very much for this info which was what I needed to help judge cavalry units during the Maryland Campaign. For me, there is no substantive difference between crack and elite.

        Dave's idea about command radaii is also a factor. But from what I've read, often green regiments have green leaders but it is true regardless that green/untested units need close supervision as would even trained units. Elite units IMO still need good commanders but know what to do often without detailed oversight.

        Larry

        Could the ratings be used for command radii? Combined with your ratings
        below, I mean, crack needs no leadership points or the leader has a very
        large radii. Green troops have a very small radii, the commander needs
        to be very close to keep unit cohesion. Just conjecture on my part, it's
        been a long time since playing the game. Also, the guys at Norbsoft,
        makers of Gettysburg, Scourge of War, might be of help, or someone on
        their forum might as well. It's an interesting question.