Re: [TalkAntietam] Unit Evaluations

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
      Larry and Gerry,

      Could the ratings be used for command radii? Combined with your ratings
      below, I mean, crack needs no leadership points or the leader has a very
      large radii. Green troops have a very small radii, the commander needs
      to be very close to keep unit cohesion. Just conjecture on my part, it's
      been a long time since playing the game. Also, the guys at Norbsoft,
      makers of Gettysburg, Scourge of War, might be of help, or someone on
      their forum might as well. It's an interesting question.

      Dave McGowan

      On 10/8/2010 2:42 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

      > Thanks Gerry.
      >
      > I'd like to know if/how Sid explained the five categories for his
      > game, especially "crack" v. "elite."
      >
      > I think for my purposes, I would divide experience into four
      > categories something like this:
      >
      > 1. Elite: More than two significant battles on the firing line with
      > excellent results, reflecting good leadership, morale, training, etc.
      > (1st Virginia Cav. or Black Horse)
      >
      > 2. Veteran: At least one battle/fight with good results. (6th Penn.
      > Cavalry at the end of the Peninsular/Seven Days Campaigns)
      >
      > 3. Trained: No/minor combat but in service for a period of time maybe
      > more than 6 months with documented training. (6th U.S. Cavalry early
      > during the Peninsular Campaign--first major fight at Williamsburg on 4
      > May 1862--veteran by the end)
      >
      > 4. Green: New in service--maybe less than 3 months, no combat, no
      > training. (16th Conn. as you suggested)
      >
      > Obviously the combat quality of a unit could change over time such as
      > the 8th and 9th NY Cavalry Regiments which went from almost mutinous
      > gangs to good fighting regiments due in important part to leadership.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Larry,
      > >
      > > The way I understand Veteran, Trained, Green is as follows:
      > >
      > > Veteran = Trained and Engaged in at least one to two campaigns
      > and/or battles;
      > >
      > > Trained = Unit has been through a Camp of Instruction (complete
      > cycle) but has yet to fight a battle or engage in a campaign;
      > >
      > > Green = Barely trained (if at all!) and maybe less than 3 weeks in a
      > Camp of Instruction.
      > >
      > > An excellent example of the "Green" category would be the hapless
      > Sixteenth Connecticut, which was basically obliterated by the veterans
      > of (IIRC) Maxcy Gregg's brigade of A P Hill's Light Division down on
      > the Ninth Corps section of the field, as that Union Corps was
      > advancing into Sharpsburg environs from the SW.
      > >
      > > Crack troops might be, for example, A P Hill's Light Division; the
      > same division could also be Elite troops. No idea what Miers meant by
      > the two.
      > >

      > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > >
      > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
      > God. --Anonymous

    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
        Larry,

        I looked into the game's help file and found the descriptions of the levels, as follows:

        There are five levels of experience, each adding a different number of blocks to the regiment's Morale Bar.
        a.. Green troops (2 blocks) have little or no combat experience.
        b.. Trained troops (3 blocks) have been in limited combat and have been in service for a while.
        c.. Veteran troops (4 blocks) have solid combat experience, some positive and negative.
        d.. Crack troops (5 blocks) have solid combat experience, most of it positive and successful.
        e.. Elite troops (6 blocks) are the best troops in your army and will stand with you to the bitter end.

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010

          Thank you very much for this info which was what I needed to help judge cavalry units during the Maryland Campaign. For me, there is no substantive difference between crack and elite.

          Dave's idea about command radaii is also a factor. But from what I've read, often green regiments have green leaders but it is true regardless that green/untested units need close supervision as would even trained units. Elite units IMO still need good commanders but know what to do often without detailed oversight.

          Larry