Re: Question on the Bridges over the Antietam

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 59 , Oct 4, 2010
      Larry,

      Reference the same "Farmsteads" booklet, p.111 quotes, "Orndorff hired a miller to assist with the operation, and constructed a stone house on the opposite side of the creek for use of the miller and his family." That stone house built for the miller is probably the one in the Garner photo. What was its use in 1862? I guess when my mind conjures up an image of a "toll booth," it's something less substantial than a nice stone house and more like the log structure seen to the north of the Pike.

      Ron Dickey

      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 21, 2010
        Thanks Larry!

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:31:09
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burnside's murky command

        From Eicher,"Civil War High Commands" command assignments for this period:

        IX Corps-AOP 20 July 1862 - 3 Aug. 1862; IX Corps Army of VA 3 Aug. 1862 - 3 Sept. 1862; Right Wing AOP 7 Sept. 1862 - 14 Sept. 1862; Left of the Line- AOP 14 Sept. 1862 - 19 Sept. 1862; Defenses of Harpers Ferry-AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Oct. 1862; AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Jan. 1863.

        Larry