RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Question on the Bridges over the Antietam

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 59 , Sep 27, 2010
      The Gardner photo shows the frame house on the east side of the creek which was in deed a tollgate house. It has been extensively remodeled recently, and sadly because SHAF had the second contract on it, and would have donated it to the NPS to restore. The center section is original to the time of the battle. The toll was for the use of the road in general and not specifically for the bridge. The next toll was in Sharpsburg, which is why the Sunken Road was used by locals wishing to avoid tolls whilst traversing to the mill and back with their crops.

      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 21, 2010
        Thanks Larry!

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:31:09
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burnside's murky command

        From Eicher,"Civil War High Commands" command assignments for this period:

        IX Corps-AOP 20 July 1862 - 3 Aug. 1862; IX Corps Army of VA 3 Aug. 1862 - 3 Sept. 1862; Right Wing AOP 7 Sept. 1862 - 14 Sept. 1862; Left of the Line- AOP 14 Sept. 1862 - 19 Sept. 1862; Defenses of Harpers Ferry-AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Oct. 1862; AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Jan. 1863.

        Larry