Q2: Accounts of Hauser and Locher?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
      QUESTION #2:

      Are there any accounts regarding what happened to residents of Hauser Farm
      and Mary Locher Farmstead (A. Poffenberger Farm). We covered both these
      places on Sunday tour, but I don't recall reading about their residents.

      Ranger Mike Weinstein had a letter from 15th MASS soldier noting how they
      buried their comrades in a trench near a log cabin past West Woods, so this
      likely was the Locher Farmstead.

      FYI....Mike is leaving Antietam in June. I've taken many great hikes with him
      and he's always been an advocate of tours that go off the beaten track. Great
      guy!

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
        Tom,

        Where is Mike being posted to?

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Stock for $4
        > and no minimums.
        > FREE Money 2002.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
          Gerry,
          Dinosaur NHS I think, somewhere in Utah or Colorado. Mike is a very good and
          competent fellow. He will be missed.
          BTW, SHAF is having a work day on Saturday, we'll meet at the Visitor's
          Center at 9:00. We'll be cutting trees at the Pry House. Anyone who can make
          it is welcome.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
            I have a drill weekend this Saturday for my battalion Tom,
            otherwise might consider......

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            > Dinosaur NHS I think, somewhere in Utah or Colorado. Mike is a
            very good and
            > competent fellow. He will be missed.
            > BTW, SHAF is having a work day on Saturday, we'll meet at the
            Visitor's
            > Center at 9:00. We'll be cutting trees at the Pry House.
            Anyone who can make
            > it is welcome.
            >

            > NJ Rebel wrote:
            >
            > > Tom,
            > >
            > > Where is Mike being posted to?
            > >
            > > Your humble servant,
            > > Gerry Mayers
            > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
            > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
            > >
            > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
            > >
            > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
            field
            > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
            Robert

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 10, 2002
              In a message dated 04/09/2002 9:03:04 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
              << Tom, Where is Mike being posted to? >>

              Mike is going to Dinosaur NHS in Utah.
              Brian is taking over as one of the tour leaders. He's been working on a
              battlewalk of Greene's division which he plans to give during anniversary
              tours.

              Tom Shay
            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2002
                I checked Kathleen Ernst's book "Too AfraidTo Cry" last night and found no
                references to Hauser Farm, nor its residents, nor Mary Locher Farmstead.

                There were a few notes about Reel Family. They moved west after the battle.