Crampton's Gap

  • Michael Peters
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
      Tom et al,

      G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
      at Crampton's Gap:

      "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
      painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
      presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
      caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
      with its division to Antietam."

      Mike Peters

    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
        Mike Peters wrote:

        Tom et al,
        "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
        painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
        presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
        caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
        with its division to Antietam."

        From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

        Regards,
        Teej

        .

      • colliszouave@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
          Teej,

          And then there was the Sally Craig .....

          Mike Peters

          From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
          Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
          To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

          Mike Peters wrote:

          Tom et al,
          "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
          painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
          presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
          caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
          with its division to Antietam."

          From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

          Regards,
          Teej

          .

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
            Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters