Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
      Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

      From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:29 PM
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

      > 4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

    • Michael Peters
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
        Tom et al,

        G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
        at Crampton's Gap:

        "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
        painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
        presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
        caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
        with its division to Antietam."

        Mike Peters

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
          Mike Peters wrote:

          Tom et al,
          "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
          painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
          presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
          caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
          with its division to Antietam."

          From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

          Regards,
          Teej

          .

        • colliszouave@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
            Teej,

            And then there was the Sally Craig .....

            Mike Peters

            From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
            Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
            To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

            Mike Peters wrote:

            Tom et al,
            "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
            painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
            presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
            caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
            with its division to Antietam."

            From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

            Regards,
            Teej

            .

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
              Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

              Respectfully,

              Mike Peters