Crampton's Gap

  • colliszouave@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
      Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
        4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
          Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

        • troyacool@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
            According to Tim Reese's, "Sealed With Their Lives" pg 165-166 it was the 2nd VT's picket's who finally claimed it, but it had been overrun by the 95th PA who then retired leaving the gun on the road.

            From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
            Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:29:43
            To: 'TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com'<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

            4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

            Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters

          • Michael Peters
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
              Tom et al,

              G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
              at Crampton's Gap:

              "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
              painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
              presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
              caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
              with its division to Antietam."

              Mike Peters

            • Teej Smith
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                Mike Peters wrote:

                Tom et al,
                "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                with its division to Antietam."

                From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                Regards,
                Teej

                .

              • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                  Teej,

                  And then there was the Sally Craig .....

                  Mike Peters

                  From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
                  Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
                  To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                  Mike Peters wrote:

                  Tom et al,
                  "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                  painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                  presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                  caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                  with its division to Antietam."

                  From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                  Regards,
                  Teej

                  .

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
                    Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters