Escape of Captain John Penn of 42nd VA

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2010
      This is my followup note #3 from the anniversary hikes.....

      John Hoptak gave us a bio about Captain John E. Penn of 42nd VA who commanded Jones's brigade.

      Penn was wounded early at Antietam. He was captured and had his leg amputated. During his transport via train, they stopped in Baltimore. Noticing only one guard, Penn attempted to escape. The guard made an effort to stop Penn, but Penn (dressed in civilian clothes) reprimanded the soldier in attempt to portray an officer. It happened the soldier only spoke German and yielded to Penn's commanding voice, allowing Penn to escape.

      Any further references or details regarding this interesting story would be welcome.