JR Jones' capture during Gettysburg Campaign

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2010
      This is my followup note #2 from the anniversary hikes.....

      John Hoptak gave us a great bio about John R. Jones, His supposed wounding at Antietam was followed by similar incidents at F'burg and C'ville. As a friend of Stonewall, he seems to have been protected from charges. However, after Stonewall's death, Jones left the army. John Hoptak provided us with the interesting story of Jones after leaving the army.

      Johns returned to farming in the Shenandoah Valley. He happened to have made a trip to Smithburg on July 4, 1863 (in midst Of Gettysburg campaign) and was recognized by Fed troopers. He was taken prisoner and kept for 2 years (as I recall). Any further references or details regarding this interesting story would be welcome.