Re: Joe Harsh

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
      I would also like to add my condolences to the Harsh family andĀ friends.

      Paula

      <<This is a terrible loss to the CW community and to those of us who have studied the Maryland Campaign. His books are the best ever written about the campaign and it is unlikely that they will be surpassed.

      Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Dr. Harsh and thank you.

      Larry>>

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        Dear Larry,

        Same thoughts here. While it appears he did get some information slightly wrong in "Taken at the Flood" (or his editors did), that work plus the other two made a gigantic contribution to a proper understanding not only of the Maryland Campaign but also Confederate strategy basically from the beginning of the war until the Army of Northern Virginia retreated back to Virginia.

        Tom Clemens, please extend the condolence of the entire Talk Antietam board to Dr. Harsh's family. Condolences also to you for the loss of a great mentor, friend and fellow colleague.

      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
          Washington Post's obit for Joe:
          http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-lee-harsh&pid=145358809

          Tom Clemens wrote a nice tribute to Joe at:
          http://marylandcampaign.com/2010/09/joseph-l-harsh-a-tribute/

          Tom Shay - heading to Antietam on Friday Sept 17
          .

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
            A wonderful tribute, Tom, thank you for sharing your experiences with
            Dr. Harsh with us.

            He will be missed.

            Dean

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
              Dear Tom Shay,

              When you go to Sharpsburg on Friday, please let the rangers know that it is very confusing trying to find Trail Stop No 5 from Trail Stop No 4 on the Final Attack Trail. Was there with friends on 9/11 and wound up going from stop 4 to stop 7 and not seeing those in between.

              Thanks for sharing Joe Harsh's obituary.