Re: White's Ford Fording 8/28/10

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2010
      Ian,

      It was a fun fording with maybe 25 crossing with a dozen flags; weather perfect; only a few fell in mostly in a channel which was about waist deep. It was more slippery than Blackford's with some gravel and weed. It is also wider than Blackford's.

      Nice group of SCV people; John Priest played music and sang.

      BTW, I admired your mortar shell in the Newcomer House where some of us will be volunteering soon; would you consider donating it to my collection if I can lift it?

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > Thanks for the information. The actual ford is at the top of the island.
      > Some people tend to do a lower crossing but I have no idea why. I would like
      > to attend that fording as I have done that several times myself.
      >
      > Ian Workman
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM, eighth_conn_inf
      > <eighth_conn_inf@...>wrote:
      >

      > > I recently read about another Potomac River fording which sounded
      > > interesting given the fun many have had at the two that SHAF and SBPA have
      > > conducted. Here is the info I've found out in case anyone is interested. I
      > > plan on attending in addition to attending the September Blackford fording.
      > >
      > > The Col. William Norris Camp SCV/Gaithersburg, MD, is planning on hosting
      > > another fording of the Potomac at White's Ford on 8/28/10 at about noon.
      > > They will meet at the Dickerson / C&O Conservation Park in Maryland (located
      > > along side the canal) then walk the 1/4 mile to the ford, cross, about 45
      > > minutes one way, then return for lunch (suggested donation) and a historical
      > > speaker (topic relating to the troops crossing in 1862 or 3 or 4). (Fording
      > > the river is optional.) There will be a porta potty, and the Upper Mont. Co.
      > > VFD will have their river boat on the water for the fording.
      > >
      > > For information see their website www.mdscv.org/1398 but last time I
      > > checked it did not yet have the 2010 info.
      > >
      > > Larry

    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2010
        Larry,