Zeb Miller

  • ScottH
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
      Is anyone familiar with a Zeb Miller who might have lived in or around Sharpsburg in the 1890s?
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
        I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
        remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
        but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
        the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
        Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
          Now I remember. The book was "My Little War Experience" by Edward
          Spangler. Still looking for info on Simon Whistler, Co. E.

          Thanks.

          On Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 05:27 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

          > I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
          > remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
          > but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
          > the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
          > Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
            http://www.archive.org/details/mylittlewarexper00inspan

            Now I remember. The book was "My Little War Experience" by Edward
            Spangler. Still looking for info on Simon Whistler, Co. E.

            Thanks.

            On Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 05:27 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

            > I am trying to find info on a Simon Whistler of the 130th PA. I
            > remember years back having a book that was the history of the 130th PA
            > but can't remember the title. I remember it had a speech by Whistler at
            > the monument dedication. I sold it because it had the same info in PA @
            > Antietam. Anyway, wish i could also remember the title of the book.

          • Thomas G. Clemens

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
                  Hey!

                  not often I get pre-event promotion for meeting with one of the greats! No offense here!

                  Steve Bockmiller

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                    1. Where was he during the battle?

                    2. Where was he during the campaign?

                    3. What are the best sources for Longstreet during the MD Campaign?

                    Thanks,
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                      Steve:

                      WOW!! You do not pull lightly do you?

                      To answer your three questions, I would suggest:

                      1. Taken at the Flood by Joe Harsh, who just recently passed away, that covers the entire campaign including the battle;
                      2. The Ezra Carman battle manuscript (specifically on the battle) can be downloaded from the Internet; I have attached the pdf file here for your review. (It is at least seventy pages of small type etc...so be prepared to be reading for a while!!!!!)
                      3. While Longstreet's own memoirs can be confusing, FMTA is a good source as is the memoir of G Moxley Sorrel. The excellent book about the Washington Artillery by William Minor Owen has some good anecdotal information as does the articles in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.
                      4. Also attached is a personal bibliographic reading list I prepared to go with a presentation I put together about the Maryland Campaign to give to CWRT groups.

                      I hope all this helps! And may I ask the reason(s) for the questions about Longstreet during the Maryland Campaign???

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2010

                        WADR, I am aware of Harsh and Carman, I was wondering if anyone knew
                        anything specific without my having to dig. It simply occurred to me
                        that Longstreet is never really mentioned in any of his accounts on
                        the right wing of the army, which he commanded. It just got me thinking
                        that he's not mentioned a lot and thought I'd see if anyone had any
                        great stories about where he was. Thanks.

                        Stephen

                        On Friday, October 22, 2010, at 09:22 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                        > Steve:
                        >
                        > WOW!! You do not pull lightly do you?
                        >
                        > To answer your three questions, I would suggest:
                        >
                        > 1. Taken at the Flood by Joe Harsh, who just recently passed away,
                        > that covers the entire campaign including the battle;
                        > 2. The Ezra Carman battle manuscript (specifically on the battle) can
                        > be downloaded from the Internet; I have attached the pdf file here for
                        > your review. (It is at least seventy pages of small type etc...so be
                        > prepared to be reading for a while!!!!!)
                        > 3. While Longstreet's own memoirs can be confusing, FMTA is a good
                        > source as is the memoir of G Moxley Sorrel. The excellent book about
                        > the Washington Artillery by William Minor Owen has some good anecdotal
                        > information as does the articles in Battles and Leaders of the Civil
                        > War.
                        > 4. Also attached is a personal bibliographic reading list I prepared
                        > to go with a presentation I put together about the Maryland Campaign
                        > to give to CWRT groups.
                        >
                        > I hope all this helps! And may I ask the reason(s) for the questions
                        > about Longstreet during the Maryland Campaign???

                        > God. --Anonymous

                      • Thomas G. Clemens
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 24, 2010
                          Several letters from Longstreet to Carman. Nothing spectacular, but some interesting stuff.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
                            "
                            I'm interested in anything you have. Thanks. One man's "nothing spectacular"...

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
                              Steve...

                              Actually Longstreet was all over the field on September 17th...from the left centre to the right... if you read the Carman MS.