Re: Question 1: Reb trains

  • scottmingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002

      > QUESTION #1:
      > Where was the Rebel ammo train and other wagons located during the
      battle?
      > (Usually there is a reserve grouping of ammo wagons and other
      supplies that
      > the armies positioned behind their lines).
      >
      > Tom Shay

      Tom,

      I have always thought that the main Rebel artillery ammo train (at
      least the reserve artillery ammo) was back at Shepherdstown, VA with
      the bulk of "Parson" Pendleton's guns. I have not recently read the
      quartermaster's report to see where the infantry's reserve ammunition
      wagons were.

      Here is an excerpt from the reserve artillery official report...

      Having crossed the Williamsport Ford, I assigned to Colonel Brown
      its defense and that of another a mile or more lower down, and
      proceeded with the remaining battalion (Major Nelson's) to the
      neighborhood of Shepherdstown.
      By 10 o'clock of the 16th the guns were here in position on
      the heights overlooking the ford, a mile below the town, and the
      passage was thenceforward assiduously guarded.
      Here other and arduous duties devolved upon the command and
      upon myself. By night or by day much labor was needed on the road;
      the passage of troops had to be facilitated, and important dispatches
      forwarded in different directions, all rendered the more essential
      toward General Jackson hastening to Sharpsburg after capturing
      Harper's Ferry. This continued through the 17th, while the battle
      (Sharpsburg) was raging, and during the night; especially in my
      having to meet a requisition for all the long-range guns that could
      be obtained and possibly spared from the fords. Instructions also
      reached me to have apprehended and sent forward all stragglers.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002

        Everything I have read seems to indicate the reserve trains were
        located across the river in Shepherdstown.

        At least the essay in Gary Gallagher's book on the Antietam
        Campaign seems to hint in that direction.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Stock for $4
        > and no minimums.
        > FREE Money 2002.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2002
          Speaking off the top of my head, I recall that Lee sent all wagons except
          ammunition across the river to Shepherdstown. Not necessarily planning to
          retreat, but easy enoughto get to Hagerstown from that area too.