Re: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
      Matt,

      In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
      Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
      spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
      historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

      The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
      photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
      time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
      been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
      so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
      date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
        No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 8/4/2010 5:05 PM >>>

        I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
        miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
        his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
        column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

        Harry

        The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
        was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
        someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
        was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
        wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

        >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
        1:35 PM >>>
        I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
        However,
        that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
        may
        have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
        with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
        what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
        tax
        records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
        few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

        Ian Workman

        On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
        <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

        <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>