RE: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church (Co-opted into a shameless self promotion)

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
      I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
      miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
      his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
      column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

      Harry

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
        Matt,

        In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
        Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
        spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
        historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

        The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
        photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
        time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
        been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
        so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
        date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
          No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens