Re: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
      The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
      was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
      someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
      was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
      wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

      >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> 08/04/10 1:35 PM >>>
      I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
      However,
      that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
      may
      have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
      with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
      what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
      tax
      records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
      few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

      Ian Workman

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...>
      wrote:

      > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
      > siding..........

      one's
      > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
      passport to
      > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God.
      --Anonymous

      <clemenst@...<clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

      Church
      > > and
      > > saw that the model had clapboard siding on the church.
      > >
      > > I know the church was brick. did it ever have wooden siding?
      > >
      > > Inquiring minds want to know...
      > >
      > > Dave Powell

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
        I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
        miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
        his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
        column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

        Harry

        The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
        was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
        someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
        was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
        wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

        >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
        1:35 PM >>>
        I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
        However,
        that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
        may
        have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
        with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
        what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
        tax
        records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
        few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

        Ian Workman

        On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
        <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

        <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
          Matt,

          In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
          Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
          spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
          historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

          The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
          photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
          time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
          been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
          so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
          date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
            No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens