Re: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
      Matt,

      There was, after the original church blew down in a windstorm in the early 1920s, a snack stand on the site. Could the shingle be from that building?

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
        The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
        was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
        someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
        was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
        wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

        wrote:

        > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
        > siding..........

        one's
        > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
        passport to
        > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God.
        --Anonymous

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
          I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
          miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
          his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
          column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

          Harry

          The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
          was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
          someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
          was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
          wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

          >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
          1:35 PM >>>
          I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
          However,
          that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
          may
          have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
          with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
          what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
          tax
          records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
          few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

          Ian Workman

          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
          <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

          <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
            Matt,

            In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
            Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
            spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
            historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

            The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
            photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
            time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
            been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
            so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
            date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
              No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens