Re: [TalkAntietam] 2nd MD (US) Question (was: thanks)

  • Mark Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      Brian Downey wrote:

      > > PLEASE stop talking about the other group...<snip>
      >
      > It's a done deal. For Jim and others: don't worry, this subj is
      > dead.

      Thanks!

      <Snip>

      > Anybody know about the 2nd MD (US) specifically, or whether this kind
      > of thing was likely? Sounds a little fanciful to me, but then that
      > day must have been a nightmare for lots of men.

      Brian,

      In _ The Maryland Campaign of 1862 and Its Aftermath _ B. Keith Toney
      writes the 150 men of 2nd Md Inf with their commander Col. Jacob Duryea
      and 150 men of the 6th New Hampshire were given the unenviable task of
      carrying the Rohrbach Bridge. Between the galling fire from the
      Georgians on the heights across from the bridge, the lack of support,
      and confusion all along the line of attack, the Marylanders lost 1/3 of
      their force to KIA or WIA. "The head of the column made it to within 250
      feet of the bridge before the men broke and began scrambling for
      whatever cover they could find. Eventually the regiment reformed on the
      plowed hill near the spot where it had begun its charge. it remained
      there trading long range shots with the Confederates, until its men ran
      out of ammunition." So, IMO, I would say it was quite possible your
      inquirer's story has some validity. Hope this helps.

      Regards,
      Teej
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2001
        Tom and Teej said about the 2ndMD:

        ...the 2nd Maryland Union played a prominent part in the assault on
        Burnside Bridge. They were part of Nagle's brigade and charged up
        the Rohrersville Road towards the bridge under the command of Col.
        Jacob Duryea. They were repulsed with signifigant losses..."

        and

        "... Eventually the regiment reformed on the plowed hill near the spot
        where it had begun its charge. it remained there trading long range
        shots with the Confederates, until its men ran out of ammunition."
        So, IMO, I would say it was quite possible your inquirer's story has
        some validity...

        Thanks for the quick answers. This helps a lot. Actually, I'd
        venture that the following part of the original question is now LESS
        likely to be true ...

        "He and his brother supposedly laid down under a fallen tree with
        their fallen comrades and played dead until the confederates had
        passed by"

        What Confederates would these have been? If the 2nd MD was repulsed
        short of the bridge, and reformed near where they started, then none
        of the men of that Regt could have been overrun by Confederates. The
        enemy were all across the creek. That is, unless some of those
        Georgians counterattacked across the bridge :)

        Brian
      • Mark Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2001
          Brian Downey wrote:

          <Snip>

          > What Confederates would these have been? If the 2nd MD was repulsed
          > short of the bridge, and reformed near where they started, then none
          > of the men of that Regt could have been overrun by Confederates. The
          > enemy were all across the creek. That is, unless some of those
          > Georgians counterattacked across the bridge :)

          Oops! Missed that part. Brian, you're absolutely right. The Georgians
          continued to fire away even after the 2nd Maryland withdrew and didn't
          stop until they were ordered to withdraw due to dwindling ammunition.
          Interesting to note that quite a few of the men who held those heights
          for so long were loathed to give it up even after it was obvious they
          could hold no longer. Lt. Col. William R. Holmes, 2nd Ga, rushed to the
          creek's edge waving his sword and shouting at the Federals until he was
          killed, his body "riddled" with bullets. 17 members of Co. H, 20th Ga.,
          were captured and barely escaped being executed on the spot by the
          intervention of Lt. Col. Thomas Bell, 28th Ohio, Bell himself was killed
          minutes later by a fragment of an exploding shell as he watered his
          horse from the creek.

          Teej
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2001
            Mark Smith wrote:

            > Oops! Missed that part. Brian, you're absolutely right. The Georgians
            > continued to fire away even after the 2nd Maryland withdrew and didn't
            > stop until they were ordered to withdraw due to dwindling ammunition.

            The fact that their right was being turned didn't help much either ;)

            Regards,
            TR Livesey
            westwood@...