Question 1: Reb trains

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
      Obviously many question arose during the tour yesterday. I post them as time
      permits.

      QUESTION #1:
      Where was the Rebel ammo train and other wagons located during the battle?
      (Usually there is a reserve grouping of ammo wagons and other supplies that
      the armies positioned behind their lines).

      Tom Shay
    • scottmingus
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002

        > QUESTION #1:
        > Where was the Rebel ammo train and other wagons located during the
        battle?
        > (Usually there is a reserve grouping of ammo wagons and other
        supplies that
        > the armies positioned behind their lines).
        >
        > Tom Shay

        Tom,

        I have always thought that the main Rebel artillery ammo train (at
        least the reserve artillery ammo) was back at Shepherdstown, VA with
        the bulk of "Parson" Pendleton's guns. I have not recently read the
        quartermaster's report to see where the infantry's reserve ammunition
        wagons were.

        Here is an excerpt from the reserve artillery official report...

        Having crossed the Williamsport Ford, I assigned to Colonel Brown
        its defense and that of another a mile or more lower down, and
        proceeded with the remaining battalion (Major Nelson's) to the
        neighborhood of Shepherdstown.
        By 10 o'clock of the 16th the guns were here in position on
        the heights overlooking the ford, a mile below the town, and the
        passage was thenceforward assiduously guarded.
        Here other and arduous duties devolved upon the command and
        upon myself. By night or by day much labor was needed on the road;
        the passage of troops had to be facilitated, and important dispatches
        forwarded in different directions, all rendered the more essential
        toward General Jackson hastening to Sharpsburg after capturing
        Harper's Ferry. This continued through the 17th, while the battle
        (Sharpsburg) was raging, and during the night; especially in my
        having to meet a requisition for all the long-range guns that could
        be obtained and possibly spared from the fords. Instructions also
        reached me to have apprehended and sent forward all stragglers.
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
          Tom,

          Everything I have read seems to indicate the reserve trains were
          located across the river in Shepherdstown.

          At least the essay in Gary Gallagher's book on the Antietam
          Campaign seems to hint in that direction.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Stock for $4
          > and no minimums.
          > FREE Money 2002.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2002
            Speaking off the top of my head, I recall that Lee sent all wagons except
            ammunition across the river to Shepherdstown. Not necessarily planning to
            retreat, but easy enoughto get to Hagerstown from that area too.