Re: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
      I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding. However,
      that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it may
      have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
      with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
      what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the tax
      records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were a
      few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

      Ian Workman

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

      > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
      > siding..........

      > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
      > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
      > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

    • Matt Reardon

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
          Matt,

          There was, after the original church blew down in a windstorm in the early 1920s, a snack stand on the site. Could the shingle be from that building?

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
            The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
            was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
            someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
            was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
            wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

            wrote:

            > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
            > siding..........

            one's
            > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
            passport to
            > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God.
            --Anonymous

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
              I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
              miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
              his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
              column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

              Harry

              The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
              was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
              someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
              was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
              wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

              >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
              1:35 PM >>>
              I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
              However,
              that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
              may
              have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
              with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
              what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
              tax
              records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
              few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

              Ian Workman

              On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
              <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

              <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
                Matt,

                In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
                Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
                spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
                historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

                The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
                photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
                time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
                been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
                so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
                date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
                  No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

                  Dr. Thomas G. Clemens