Re: [TalkAntietam] Dunker Church

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
      I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden siding..........

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
        I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding. However,
        that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it may
        have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
        with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
        what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the tax
        records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were a
        few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

        Ian Workman

        On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

        > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
        > siding..........

        > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
        > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
        > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

      • Matt Reardon

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
            Matt,

            There was, after the original church blew down in a windstorm in the early 1920s, a snack stand on the site. Could the shingle be from that building?

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
              The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
              was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
              someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
              was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
              wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

              wrote:

              > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
              > siding..........

              one's
              > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
              passport to
              > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God.
              --Anonymous

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
                miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
                his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
                column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

                Harry

                The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
                was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
                someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
                was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
                wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

                >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
                1:35 PM >>>
                I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
                However,
                that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
                may
                have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
                with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
                what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
                tax
                records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
                few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

                Ian Workman

                On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
                <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

                <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Matt,

                  In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
                  Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
                  spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
                  historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

                  The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
                  photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
                  time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
                  been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
                  so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
                  date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
                    No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens