Dunker Church

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3 4:43 PM
      Folks,

      On a wargaming board, one guy recently purchased a model of the Church and
      saw that the model had clapboard siding on the church.

      I know the church was brick. did it ever have wooden siding?

      Inquiring minds want to know...

      Dave Powell

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3 6:03 PM
        Not that I know of.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3 7:11 PM
          I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden siding..........

          > On a wargaming board, one guy recently purchased a model of the Church
          > and
          > saw that the model had clapboard siding on the church.
          >
          > I know the church was brick. did it ever have wooden siding?
          >
          > Inquiring minds want to know...
          >
          > Dave Powell

        • Ian Workman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4 10:35 AM
            I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding. However,
            that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it may
            have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
            with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
            what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the tax
            records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were a
            few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

            Ian Workman

            On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

            > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
            > siding..........

            > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
            > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
            > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • Matt Reardon

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4 12:16 PM
                Matt,

                There was, after the original church blew down in a windstorm in the early 1920s, a snack stand on the site. Could the shingle be from that building?

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4 1:49 PM
                  The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
                  was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
                  someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
                  was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
                  wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

                  wrote:

                  > I too have never heard of the Dunkard Church having any sort of wooden
                  > siding..........

                  one's
                  > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
                  passport to
                  > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God.
                  --Anonymous

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4 2:05 PM
                    I wonder if it's possibly a model of Manor Dunker Church that was a few
                    miles up the road closer to Hagerstown. This is where William Roulette sent
                    his family during the battle - read all about it in my Collateral Damage
                    column in the upcoming issue of Civil War Times!

                    Harry

                    The church was built in the 1850's, forget the exact year but think it
                    was 1857, on a small plat donated by Sam Mumma. What may be confusing
                    someone isthat after it was destroyed in 1920's a small grocery store
                    was erected on the foundation in the 1930 & 40's which was, I think, a
                    wooden building. But that building was never the Dunkard Church.

                    >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@... <mailto:cwdigger%40gmail.com> > 08/04/10
                    1:35 PM >>>
                    I too have never heard of the church ever having any wooden siding.
                    However,
                    that doesn't mean that it didn't. If there were an earlier structure it
                    may
                    have had siding as most smaller buildings had clap board siding to start
                    with. I started a deed chain on that property last year some time to see
                    what else was there. If you check what was supposedly there against the
                    tax
                    records it just doesn't match up correctly. I must note that there were
                    few more homes in that area that aren't there now.

                    Ian Workman

                    On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...
                    <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> >

                    <clemenst@... <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5 3:56 AM
                      Matt,

                      In August 26, 1892 it was reported that "The old roof of the Dunkard
                      Church has been replaced with a new one. O.T. Reilly bought two
                      spring-wagon loads of wood and will sell some of it as relics of that
                      historic church." My guess is that is what you have.

                      The roof that fell in 1921 was not the original. That said, I have a
                      photo of it, fallen down, with Bertha Mumma sitting on it, and at the
                      time they were trying to give it back to the Mumma heirs because it had
                      been bequeathed to the Dunkers for a church, not a lot full of debris,
                      so there was still a close connection with the family. A clue to its
                      date might be which Mumma, exactly, signed it.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5 11:03 AM
                        No it is stone and brick, not wood, and older than the Dunker Church. Nice thought though.

                        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens