Re: For Stephen Recker

  • s_recker
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
      Steve,

      I got to thinking. The middle photo is an albumen which, though invented around 1850, really came into vogue in studios in 1855, about the time Recher started his studio. Although he was best known in the 1850s as a Dagaurean, he was probably taking albumens as soon as they were available. Also, the inscription on the back..."Elias Recker who made these photos" supports that it was a self-portrait. I don't recognize the handwriting. It does not match his or the typical initials on his revenue stamps. Just some thoughts.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        Steve (Recker),

        From reading the earlier post, are you and your son descendants of the Rechers?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
          No, no relation. I was intrigued, though, when I found out that the
          patriarch of Antietam photographers was named Recher, and often spelled
          his name Recker. No relation that I know, though.

          Stephen