Re: [TalkAntietam] White's Ford Fording 8/28/10

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2010
      Larry,

      Thanks for the information. The actual ford is at the top of the island.
      Some people tend to do a lower crossing but I have no idea why. I would like
      to attend that fording as I have done that several times myself.

      Ian Workman

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2010
        Ian,

        It was a fun fording with maybe 25 crossing with a dozen flags; weather perfect; only a few fell in mostly in a channel which was about waist deep. It was more slippery than Blackford's with some gravel and weed. It is also wider than Blackford's.

        Nice group of SCV people; John Priest played music and sang.

        BTW, I admired your mortar shell in the Newcomer House where some of us will be volunteering soon; would you consider donating it to my collection if I can lift it?

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > Thanks for the information. The actual ford is at the top of the island.
        > Some people tend to do a lower crossing but I have no idea why. I would like
        > to attend that fording as I have done that several times myself.
        >
        > Ian Workman
        >
        > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM, eighth_conn_inf
        > <eighth_conn_inf@...>wrote:
        >

        > > I recently read about another Potomac River fording which sounded
        > > interesting given the fun many have had at the two that SHAF and SBPA have
        > > conducted. Here is the info I've found out in case anyone is interested. I
        > > plan on attending in addition to attending the September Blackford fording.
        > >
        > > The Col. William Norris Camp SCV/Gaithersburg, MD, is planning on hosting
        > > another fording of the Potomac at White's Ford on 8/28/10 at about noon.
        > > They will meet at the Dickerson / C&O Conservation Park in Maryland (located
        > > along side the canal) then walk the 1/4 mile to the ford, cross, about 45
        > > minutes one way, then return for lunch (suggested donation) and a historical
        > > speaker (topic relating to the troops crossing in 1862 or 3 or 4). (Fording
        > > the river is optional.) There will be a porta potty, and the Upper Mont. Co.
        > > VFD will have their river boat on the water for the fording.
        > >
        > > For information see their website www.mdscv.org/1398 but last time I
        > > checked it did not yet have the 2010 info.
        > >
        > > Larry

      • Ian Workman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2010
          Larry,