Tour Announcement

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2010
      SHAF Sponsored Tour of Phase I of the Maryland Campaign of September, 1862

      On Saturday, July 31, 2010, the Save Historic Antietam Foundation (SHAF)
      will sponsor a tour of "Phase I" of the Maryland Campaign of September,
      1862. The tour will be led by SHAF board members Dennis Frye, National Park
      Service Historian at Harper's Ferry, and Dr. Thomas Clemens, editor of Ezra
      Carman's "The Maryland Campaign of September, 1862, Volume I: South
      Mountain".

      The tour will begin at 8:30 AM at the parking lot of the Monocacy National
      Battlefield Visitor's Center in Frederick Maryland, where the guides will
      cover the action up to the discovery of General Robert E. Lee's "Lost Order"
      by Union forces. Then the tour will proceed to Harper's Ferry, covering the
      fighting and siege operations and capture of that place, as well as the
      escape of Union cavalry.

      Lunch will be served at The Anvil Restaurant in Harper's Ferry. Choices of
      a wrap, cheeseburger, or Reuben sandwich, each with French fries and drink.

      From there, participants will travel to and discuss the importance of the
      sites of the Battles for South Mountain, including Burkittsville, Gathland,
      and Crampton's, Fox's, and Turner's Gaps.

      This is a "caravan" tour. Car pooling is strongly encouraged.
      Participation is limited to 30 individuals. Fees, including lunch, are $30
      for SHAF members. Non-member fee is $50, which will include a one year
      membership to SHAF. Members receive a quarterly newsletter and member rates
      for SHAF sponsored events. Also, copies of Dr. Clemens' edition of Ezra
      Carman's "The Maryland Campaign of September, 1862, Volume I: South
      Mountain" will be made available at a $5 discount the day of the tour.

      A firm number of participants is required by July 21, 2010. Make your
      reservations by sending an email with the names of those who will attend to
      tours@.... You will receive instructions on where to send payment.

      Don't miss this rare opportunity to tour the sites of the Maryland Campaign
      of September, 1862 with recognized experts Dr. Thomas Clemens and Dennis
      Frye.