Re: Monument at Locust Spring Hospital

  • s_recker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21 2:45 AM

      That is great. I knew you would have the inside track. I did not see anything about it in John's hospital book, but maybe he has something in his head about it. Mysteries abound.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2010
        Looking for info on this guy. Anybody? Thanks.

        Stephen
      • troyacool
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
          I know this is an older thread but I just got this transcribed from Dr. T H Squires, a letter to Dr. Bowditch 2nd Dec 1862:

          Locust Spring Hospital Dec 2d 1862
          Dear Doctor,
          Your kind letter is just received- In relation to Dr. Letterman and the Ambulance I. C. I do not know know as anything needs to be said on my part. I hope the good which will undoubtedly follow your recent inquiries into that Ambulance system, will not be attended with any evil to persons not guilty of delinquency. This is a maxim appertaining to surgery that " in order to heal a wound you must probe it," and probing often makes the patient wince. In relation to Henry Sweetman I may say, that he has a headboard at his grave. Since you have left I have caused a stonewall to be built around our burying place, and I have fifty headboards made of uniform size, all painted white and nicely lettered, so that now my graveyard has tablets which, at a little distance, appear to be marbleslabs, and what is more, I am now having a little monument made to be placed in the midst, with this or some other sim {(sic) torn page}inscription:
          Sacred to memory
          Of the
          Union Soldiers
          Who lost their lives
          In defence of their Country
          Battle of Antietam
          Sep 17th 1862
          The letter continues but does not mention the graveyard again.
          I have an article mentioning it as well if your interested.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
            So where is this monument?

            http://milfordalive.com/gerard-e-mayers/
            https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
            http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

            "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

          • Troy Cool
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
              The cemetery as far as rumor goes was dismantled and the bodies reinterred at the national Cemetery at Antietam.  I have not yet positively tracked down any individual I know of being buried at LSH to another Cemetery but it is on my list of things to do!