Monument at Locust Spring Hospital

  • s_recker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2010
      Today I found two unrelated references to a small monument at Locust Spring Hospital, otherwise known as Geeting or Crystal Spring Hospital. This would have been right after the battle. Anyone know of a picture of this monument?

      "A neat monument has been erected. On the tapering point at the top is fixed a large cannon ball. At the side is a large rifled cannon, whihc was used in the battle, and rendered useless by having a piece broken off. On the side of the monument is inscribed:"Sacred to the memory of the Union Soldiers who lost their lives in defence of their country at the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862."

      "In a few days after the doctor left the boy died and was buried in an extemporized burying ground ornamented with cast off cannon from the battlefield of Antietam."
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010
        Fascinating, have not heard of this before. John Schildt may know something, or Bill Rees the current owner. I was out there not long ago and went over the place with Bill, he is trying to sell it, and he made no mention, but perhaps he knows something. There was a stone in one of his barns with some weird carvings on it, but it did not look like the monument you describe.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010

          That is great. I knew you would have the inside track. I did not see anything about it in John's hospital book, but maybe he has something in his head about it. Mysteries abound.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 7 3:57 AM
            Looking for info on this guy. Anybody? Thanks.

            Stephen
          • troyacool
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
              I know this is an older thread but I just got this transcribed from Dr. T H Squires, a letter to Dr. Bowditch 2nd Dec 1862:

              Locust Spring Hospital Dec 2d 1862
              Dear Doctor,
              Your kind letter is just received- In relation to Dr. Letterman and the Ambulance I. C. I do not know know as anything needs to be said on my part. I hope the good which will undoubtedly follow your recent inquiries into that Ambulance system, will not be attended with any evil to persons not guilty of delinquency. This is a maxim appertaining to surgery that " in order to heal a wound you must probe it," and probing often makes the patient wince. In relation to Henry Sweetman I may say, that he has a headboard at his grave. Since you have left I have caused a stonewall to be built around our burying place, and I have fifty headboards made of uniform size, all painted white and nicely lettered, so that now my graveyard has tablets which, at a little distance, appear to be marbleslabs, and what is more, I am now having a little monument made to be placed in the midst, with this or some other sim {(sic) torn page}inscription:
              Sacred to memory
              Of the
              Union Soldiers
              Who lost their lives
              In defence of their Country
              Battle of Antietam
              Sep 17th 1862
              The letter continues but does not mention the graveyard again.
              I have an article mentioning it as well if your interested.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
                So where is this monument?

                http://milfordalive.com/gerard-e-mayers/
                https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
                http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

                "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

              • Troy Cool
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
                  The cemetery as far as rumor goes was dismantled and the bodies reinterred at the national Cemetery at Antietam.  I have not yet positively tracked down any individual I know of being buried at LSH to another Cemetery but it is on my list of things to do!