for Stephen Recker

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2010
      Stephen..
      I took another look at that photographer's wagon stereoview (Recher or Freaner...I forget). Anyway...I want to back track on what I said. Looking at the clothes on the kid in the photo...I would say it is likely around 1880...not the Civil War vintage I opined a few weeks ago.

      Hagerstown book is well under way. May get it to publisher well in advance of our October delivery date.

      Steve Bockmiller
    • s_recker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2010
        Steve,

        Very interesting. That would make more sense. Phreaner took a few early photos of the battlefield (1867) but not enough to justify him having a photograph wagon. It was not until around 1877 when the Pen Mar area became a tourist attraction that he and Recher both started taking a lot of outdoor photos, mostly stereoviews. And with Tipton shooting at Antietam in 1877 and with the dedication of Antietam National Cemetery in 1880, their focus shifted towards that area. Great research. Thanks.

        Stephen

        Looking forward to your book.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

        > Stephen..
        > I took another look at that photographer's wagon stereoview (Recher or Freaner...I forget). Anyway...I want to back track on what I said. Looking at the clothes on the kid in the photo...I would say it is likely around 1880...not the Civil War vintage I opined a few weeks ago.
        >
        > Hagerstown book is well under way. May get it to publisher well in advance of our October delivery date.
        >
        > Steve Bockmiller

      • jeffcowvplanning
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
          Stephen and Larry...

          The book is an Arcadia photo-history. So, don't expect deep analysis of the philosophical causes of the great battle of Hagerstown. But, we have come up with a ton of great images. Was just at the WC Historical Society today scanning about 70 images. Found a lot at the Western Maryland room, and have a bunch identified at the War College collection in Carlisle to use.

          Found a huge 1870 image view north from the square up North Potomac...it is fabulous...shows City Hall as it appeared during the war, the tower and flagpole of the Independent Junior Fire Hall. So detailed that you can clearly read the time the image was taken on the City Hall clock (2:20). Way cool. Also found a poster advertising a performance of the 13th Massachusetts Infantry glee club at the Lyceum Hall in January, 1862...and a photo of the glee club!

          Stephen...I went through the photo files at the historical society file by file, and there are a scad of Recher CDVs sprinkled throughout the files. Time consuming, but a file-by file search may turn up images you might like but weren't aware existed.

          Steve

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@...> wrote:

          > Steve,
          >
          > Very interesting. That would make more sense. Phreaner took a few early photos of the battlefield (1867) but not enough to justify him having a photograph wagon. It was not until around 1877 when the Pen Mar area became a tourist attraction that he and Recher both started taking a lot of outdoor photos, mostly stereoviews. And with Tipton shooting at Antietam in 1877 and with the dedication of Antietam National Cemetery in 1880, their focus shifted towards that area. Great research. Thanks.
          >
          > Stephen
          >
          > Looking forward to your book.
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Stephen..
          > > I took another look at that photographer's wagon stereoview (Recher or Freaner...I forget). Anyway...I want to back track on what I said. Looking at the clothes on the kid in the photo...I would say it is likely around 1880...not the Civil War vintage I opined a few weeks ago.
          > >
          > > Hagerstown book is well under way. May get it to publisher well in advance of our October delivery date.
          > >
          > > Steve Bockmiller

        • s_recker
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
            That's great! Cna't wait to see the book. Yes, they have some great CDVs. I've organized many of the larger format photos, but those bags of family photos...wow. Recher and Phreaner were busy!

            Cheers,
            Stephen