Re: Belinda Springs

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
      All,
      In case you're not aware, Lee and Barbara Barron in their booklet "The History of Sharpsburg Maryland" addressed Belinda Springs starting on page 49 and with a picture on page 51. First published in 1972, they show Jacob Gardenhour buying the property in 1818 and by 1822 having the resort up and running with ".. many attractions, including horse racing, cock fighting, bowling alleys, billard rooms, bath houses, drinking and tonsorial salons." The name is in honor of his wife. The springs were sold in 1844 and continued their decline. The Barron's conclude with the sentence, "For its day, Belinda Springs was a magnificent place, known all over the country as one of the finest resorts to be visited anywhere."
      Ron Dickey