Antietam Iron Works

  • s_recker
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2010
      I'm researching the Antietam Iron Works and am trying to find out what year the dam broke.

      Also, if there are any other great sources about what happened there relative to the CW and Antietam I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

      Stephen
    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
        The dam and original bridge works are still visible today. There were large
        Adena Hopewell camps here as well as large civil war camps above iron works.
        That place was full of Washington arsenal bullets with the star cast into
        the cavity.

        Sincerely,
        Ian Workman

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
          Ian,

          That's fascinating. I'll have to find out more about those Washington Arsenal bullets. That's great stuff.

          I was at the dam site the other day and saw the big wall that still stands. I was actually thinking about you and wondering if any of the original wood part of the dam resides under the Antietam?

          By original bridge works, are you speaking of the large stone wall on the south side of the Antietam just east of the four-arch bridge?

          Stephen

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
            For those in the Philly area looking for something FREE to do the weekend of May 1-2, check out this website.

            The Neshaminy CW reenactment is in its 21st year.  For any further info, you can contact me via private email.

            http://www.phillyfunguide.com/event/detail/61223    This site will lead you to the website for the event also.

            Paula

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
              Waste Management? Interesting sponsor.

              Actually...I plan to be there...my first battle reenactment in 10 years.
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                Steve,

                I will be there as part of the First Corps HQ. Feel free to stop by and say hello... Just look for Lt Col Fairfax.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                  Great Stephen - stop by the information table at the crossroads run by the Delaware Valley CWRT and say hi!

                  Paula
                  Actually...I plan to be there...my first battle reenactment in 10 years.