Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Question on the IX Corps assault

    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 26, 2010
      Dear Steven,

      As someone who is finally approaching the end of a more than decade long historical fiction manuscript on Sharpsburg, I think maybe I could offer some points. However, writing historical fiction is markedly different than writing something about historical photographs etc!

      1. Do as much research as you personally feel _you_ need to be comfortable with the particular/pertinent subjects so you can write about them in a manner convincing &c to the potential purchaser of the work;
      2. When you do your writing, it might be helpful if you could construct it so the reader discovers the pertinent information as he or she is reading the pages;
      3. Always keep your target audience in mind throughout the process. That said, who is the target audience for your own book?

      Finally, do not be surprised if you find yourself hitting multiple "writing blocks" along the way. There will be times, as they happened to me, when you feel you either do not have enough research information on the particular part of the work or you have a sufficiency of information but not sure how to tell about it! At such times, there is nothing wrong with simply taking a break for a while...letting the material percolate in your brain and then you will find, almost all of a sudden, that the material sorts itself out nice and neatly so you can put your thoughts in a cohesive manner on "paper".

      I hope these ideas will help you also!

      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 21, 2010
        Thanks Larry!

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:31:09
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burnside's murky command

        From Eicher,"Civil War High Commands" command assignments for this period:

        IX Corps-AOP 20 July 1862 - 3 Aug. 1862; IX Corps Army of VA 3 Aug. 1862 - 3 Sept. 1862; Right Wing AOP 7 Sept. 1862 - 14 Sept. 1862; Left of the Line- AOP 14 Sept. 1862 - 19 Sept. 1862; Defenses of Harpers Ferry-AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Oct. 1862; AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Jan. 1863.

        Larry