Trivia Question

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2010
      Does anyone know what "Little Sorrel's" real name is? Dont run to google...it can be found....but does anyone know without looking?

      Hint...it wasn't "Little Sorrel".

      Steve
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2010
        IIRC it was Fancy

        > Does anyone know what "Little Sorrel's" real name is? Dont run to google...it can be found....but does anyone know without looking?
        >
        > Hint...it wasn't "Little Sorrel".
        >
        > Steve

      • Mary Hawthorne
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
          Found it..In Robertson's book on Stonewall.. the name of "Little Sorrel" is Fancy
          Mary "bluelady" Hawthorne

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
            that's funny..this answer came before I saw the question! hehe
            > Does anyone know what "Little Sorrel's" real name is? Dont run to google...it can be found....but does anyone know without looking?
            >
            > Hint...it wasn't "Little Sorrel".
            >
            > Steve

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
              Hi folks.

              A little off topic, but I would like to pick the collective knowledge base of the group.

              I would like to describe the 7/6/63 Battle of Hagerstown as the largest urban cavalry battle of the War.

              Can anyone off the top of their head think of a larger urban cavalry battle? There were larger urban battles (Fredericksburg comes to mind) and larger cavalry battles (Brandy Station, Trevillians, Hanover, etc.) but I cannot think of one larger than Hagerstown that was in an urban setting.

              Thoughts, please?
              Thanks.
              Steve Bockmiller
            • Mary Hawthorne
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
                Are you talking the size of the town? or troops involved? How about Westminister MD 6/26/63?
                bluelady

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
                  IIRC Hagerstown had more cav troopers involved on both sides than did
                  Westminster. I would have to look at Kent Masterston Brown's book on the
                  retreat of Lee's Army of No Virginia the next time I am at the Bucks County
                  CWRT Library, but I believe the Hagerstown fight (which also put Custer,
                  again IIRC, perilously close to being captured) was larger.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
                      I wonder if Wilson at Selma v. Forrest was urban? Info:

                      Major General James H. Wilson, commanding three divisions of Union cavalry, about 13,500 men, led his men south from Gravelly Springs, Alabama, on March 22, 1865. Opposed by Confederate Lieutenant General Nathan B. Forrest, Wilson skillfully continued his march and eventually defeated him in a running battle at Ebenezer Church, on April 1. Continuing towards Selma, Wilson split his command into three columns. Although Selma was well-defended, the Union columns broke through the defenses at separate points forcing the Confederates to surrender the city, although many of the officers and men, including Forrest and Lieutenant General Richard Taylor, escaped. Selma demonstrated that even Forrest, whom some had considered invincible, could not stop the unrelenting Union movements deep into the Southern Heartland.

                      Result(s): Union victory

                      Location: Dallas County

                      Campaign: Wilson's Raid in Alabama and Georgia (1865)

                      Date(s): April 2, 1865

                      Principal Commanders: Major General James H. Wilson [US]; Lieutenant General Nathan B. Forrest [CS]

                      Forces Engaged: Two cavalry divisions [US]; troops in city (approx. 5,000 men) [CS]

                      Estimated Casualties: 3,019 total (US 319; CS 2,700)

                      Larry

                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

                      > Hi folks.
                      >
                      > A little off topic, but I would like to pick the collective knowledge base of the group.
                      >
                      > I would like to describe the 7/6/63 Battle of Hagerstown as the largest urban cavalry battle of the War.
                      >
                      > Can anyone off the top of their head think of a larger urban cavalry battle? There were larger urban battles (Fredericksburg comes to mind) and larger cavalry battles (Brandy Station, Trevillians, Hanover, etc.) but I cannot think of one larger than Hagerstown that was in an urban setting.
                      >
                      > Thoughts, please?
                      > Thanks.
                      > Steve Bockmiller

                    • Thomas G. Clemens
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
                        Good job Larry. I was thinking of Hanover PA in the Gettysburg campaign. There was a large number of cavalry fighting there too.
                        ________________________________

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

                        > Hi folks.
                        >
                        > A little off topic, but I would like to pick the collective knowledge base of the group.
                        >
                        > I would like to describe the 7/6/63 Battle of Hagerstown as the largest urban cavalry battle of the War.
                        >
                        > Can anyone off the top of their head think of a larger urban cavalry battle? There were larger urban battles (Fredericksburg comes to mind) and larger cavalry battles (Brandy Station, Trevillians, Hanover, etc.) but I cannot think of one larger than Hagerstown that was in an urban setting.
                        >
                        > Thoughts, please?
                        > Thanks.
                        > Steve Bockmiller

                      • Stephen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 28, 2010
                          Thanks, everyone. I will check Selma...as a western theater battle I am pretty ignorant. I think Westminster is out because of the number of troops (union side was less than a regiment). I will check the troop movements in the Hanover battle to see if that was urban or in the countryside around the town.

                          If anyone else can think of others to check into I would appreciate it.

                          Steve

                          > Good job Larry. I was thinking of Hanover PA in the Gettysburg campaign. There was a large number of cavalry fighting there too.

                        • Mary Hawthorne
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 28, 2010
                            From the 2 maps in the book "Plenty of Blame to Go Around", the battle of Hanover took place in the town. It involved 3 brigades of Stuart's command and 2 brigades of Kilpatrick's command