Re: [TalkAntietam] Question on the IX Corps assault

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 24, 2010
      Gerry, I believe you are referring to BURNSIDE'S BRIDGE by Phillip Thomas
      Tucker.

      Not a bad book, but Tucker does make some errant statements. For instance,
      he refers to my county's 48th PA Infantry as "including among their ranks
      mulattoes and free blacks". Totally false.

      Tucker touts the Rebels defense at the bridge as something akin to a
      Themopylae as he states that Benning "and General Toombs would channel the
      spirit of Leonidas when they defended the Rohrbach Bridge."

      Tom Shay - in County Schuylkill, PA

      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 21, 2010
        Thanks Larry!

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:31:09
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burnside's murky command

        From Eicher,"Civil War High Commands" command assignments for this period:

        IX Corps-AOP 20 July 1862 - 3 Aug. 1862; IX Corps Army of VA 3 Aug. 1862 - 3 Sept. 1862; Right Wing AOP 7 Sept. 1862 - 14 Sept. 1862; Left of the Line- AOP 14 Sept. 1862 - 19 Sept. 1862; Defenses of Harpers Ferry-AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Oct. 1862; AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Jan. 1863.

        Larry