Re: 43rd regt, N.Y.S.M.

  • s_recker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
      Thanks a million! With that first name I was able to confirm that he is my guy:

      "Solomon F. McFARLAND was born in Oxford, July 12, 1828, and received his education in the Oxford Academy. He commenced the study of medicine in his native place with Dr. George DOUGLAS, and in 1853 entered the University of Michigan, remaining one term of six months. He re-entered the institution in the fall of 1856, and was graduated in the spring of 1857. He commenced practice in Throupsburgh, Steuben county, in the spring of 1854, under a license granted by the Chenango County Medical Society, April 21, 1854, and continued there till he re-entered Michigan University. After graduating, he resumed practice in Oxford, where he has since continued. He was Assistant Surgeon of the 83rd N.Y. Vols. in the fall of 1862, but resigned on account of ill health. In the spring of 1863 he was appointed Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment of the 19th District of New York, and performed the arduous duties of that office fifteen months, when failing health again compelled him to relinquish military service."

      Now I need to see if there are any good narratives about the 83rd at Antietam. I see that not many of their officers filed after-action reports. Well, one step at a time. Thanks!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
        I have a few 83 NY letters to Carman. Will you be at work this week?

        >>> "s_recker" <recker@...> 02/21/10 11:29 AM >>>
        Thanks a million! With that first name I was able to confirm that he is my guy:

        "Solomon F. McFARLAND was born in Oxford, July 12, 1828, and received his education in the Oxford Academy. He commenced the study of medicine in his native place with Dr. George DOUGLAS, and in 1853 entered the University of Michigan, remaining one term of six months. He re-entered the institution in the fall of 1856, and was graduated in the spring of 1857. He commenced practice in Throupsburgh, Steuben county, in the spring of 1854, under a license granted by the Chenango County Medical Society, April 21, 1854, and continued there till he re-entered Michigan University. After graduating, he resumed practice in Oxford, where he has since continued. He was Assistant Surgeon of the 83rd N.Y. Vols. in the fall of 1862, but resigned on account of ill health. In the spring of 1863 he was appointed Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment of the 19th District of New York, and performed the arduous duties of that office fifteen months, when failing health again compelled him to relinquish military service."

        Now I need to see if there are any good narratives about the 83rd at Antietam. I see that not many of their officers filed after-action reports. Well, one step at a time. Thanks!

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian D" <bdowney@...> wrote:

        > Hi Stephen,
        >
        > If that's Solomon McFarland, I found him in Phisterer as Asst Surgeon, 83rd NY Vols. (http://www.archive.org/stream/newyorkinwarofre04phisrich#page/2912/mode/2up -- he's on pg. 2925) in Sept/Oct 1862. 83rd Infantry aka 9th Militia.
        >
        > Phisterer has no such unit as 43rd NYSM.
        >
        > If you have photo or other ephemera, please post!
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am looking for information about S.F. McFarland, Surgeon of the 43rd Regt, N.Y.S.M. He is from around Binghampton/Oxford New York.
        > >
        > > Funny thing is, I can't find anything about the regiment. I can find the 43rd Infantry, but I don't think those are my guys.
        > >
        > > Help. Thanks.

      • s_recker
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010

          I'll be mostly out this week. I'll drop by and see if you are around. Thanks so much. That is great.