Re: [TalkAntietam] PRESS RELEASE - Shepherdstown Battlefield

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010
      The true core of the battlefield would be the Ellis farm, the Rider Farm,
      and the portion of land that the octagonal house sits on along with the
      ravine. There is very little evidence of the battle east of the Rider House
      going towards rattlesnake run.

      There was a portion of the battle that took place west of Teague Run.

      I have almost traced the empacement of the confederate Whitworth Rifled
      Cannon to the hillside of Ed Moore's Farm.

      The maryland side offers the same structure but doesn't go as far east as
      Miller's Sawmill Road. Most of what is in that general area is from the
      winter encampments from the Mass. troops.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2010
        HI Ian,
        I understand what you're saying however, the areas alluded to in the
        Press Release represent the study done by American Battlefield
        Protection Program and the nomination for the National Historic Trust.
        Our studies show that rough 300 acres we've focused on has only a few,
        (six?) house on it, including the Osbourne Farm, and yes, I know it has
        been altered since the war. When the area is expanded to ABPP or NHT
        specs in incorporates not only much more land, but many more houses,
        including those east of Trough Road. In other words about 2,000 acres
        and many, many more houses. While in a perfect world we would say, yes,
        this is all battlefield and we want to raise money to buy all these
        houses, tear them down and restore the whole battlefield, the reality is
        that ain't gonna happen. Geez, even Gettysburg does not talk serious
        about buying the "strip" along Emmitsburg road or Baltimore Pike and
        restoring that view, and if they can't get the money, we sure aren't.
        So we focus on the largest undeveloped portion that will still allow
        interpretation of the site. Over time, if it starts raining money for
        battlefields, sure, we'd love to go after some of those houses and the
        land they occupy, but until then, or until I win the Powerball Lottery,
        we focus on the possible.
        Thanks for the comments.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens