Re: [TalkAntietam] Wilcox

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2010
      On Feb 12, 2010, at 7:49 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > Did you ever get an answer to Cadmus Wilcox's absence duringthe MD
      > Campaign?

      Yes, as far as I can determine (or was told to me, I don't recall
      which), he may have been present, but just too ill to command.

      I still need to find out if the rest of Barnes' Bde of 1/5 crossed
      the Middle Bridge along with the 18 Mass on the morning of the 18th
      when Morell was sent to "support" Burnside but with orders to stay
      east of the creek but sent one brigade to the west side anyway
      (presumably Barnes). While the 18 Mass left a record of crossing at
      the Middle Bridge, I can find no reference stating whether the rest
      of the brigade went with them or kept going further south with the
      rest of the division to cross the Lower Bridge.

      That one is a puzzler.

      Thanks for remembering!

      Dean