Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Question re "Carry Me Back toOl' Virginny" Song

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
      Thanks!

      A huge difference between the 1875 song and that one.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
        The older one is pretty tacky to my eye and ear -- I suspect they only sang the chorus on the march, or even had a "soldier's version" of the verses. (Appreciate your calling my attn to the URL -- I've marked it.) The "modern one" is more appealing to me, but, what the hey!
        Dave

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
          It's possible they sang only the chorus... but knowing the
          soldiers...they most likely would have sung the entire song.
          After all, that is what they did with "My Maryland" at the start
          of the campaign.