Re: Question re "Carry Me Back toOl' Virginny" Song

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
      Gerry: That's it.
      Dave G.

      > Dear Dave,
      >
      > Apropos to your earlier email, would you review the attached link
      > and inform me if this is the song you referred to:
      >
      > http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/minstrel/oldvirginnyfr.html
      >
      > Thank you kindly!

    • flagflop
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
        That's it.
        Dave

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
          Thanks!

          A huge difference between the 1875 song and that one.

          > Apropos to your earlier email, would you review the attached
          > link
          > and inform me if this is the song you referred to:
          >
          > http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/minstrel/oldvirginnyfr.html
          >
          > Thank you kindly!

          > from

        • flagflop
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
            The older one is pretty tacky to my eye and ear -- I suspect they only sang the chorus on the march, or even had a "soldier's version" of the verses. (Appreciate your calling my attn to the URL -- I've marked it.) The "modern one" is more appealing to me, but, what the hey!
            Dave

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
              It's possible they sang only the chorus... but knowing the
              soldiers...they most likely would have sung the entire song.
              After all, that is what they did with "My Maryland" at the start
              of the campaign.