Question re "Carry Me Back toOl' Virginny" Song

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010
      Gang;

      While doing some supplemental research for my book manuscript, I
      came across the mention that, when Lee's army retreated across
      the Potomac into Maryland, the soldiers demanded, and go, the
      bands to play "Carry Me Back to Ol' Virginny".

      Upon some further investigation, what I was able to learn was
      apparently it was written by a James Bland, an African-American,
      ca. 1875.

      I am currently reading a book about Generals Lee and Grant,
      titled, "The Generals". When the Lee family left West Point upon
      completion of Lee's term as Superintendent there, in the rain,
      the cadet band played the family to the waiting boat at the wharf
      to transport them back to New York for Virginia. The song the
      cadet band played was the one mentioned above and the date was
      the early 1850's.

      Apparently it was a well enough known song for the cadet band at
      West Point to know and play. So, why the discrepancy in the
      recorded usages of the song with when the song was supposedly
      composed?

    • flagflop
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
        Gerry,

        The problem is caused by confusion between the former (postwar) Virginia "Carry Me Back..." anthem and the one of the 1860s, which was totally different and titled "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia's Shore." (Which was not inappropraite for a recrossing of the Potomac!) The band version is on one of the readily available tape compilations, which I can dig up if interested.

        Dave Gaddy

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
          Dear Dave,

          If you could send me the lyrics to the older version, I would be
          most appreciative. Thank you for clearing up the confusion!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
            Dear Dave,

            Apropos to your earlier email, would you review the attached link
            and inform me if this is the song you referred to:

            http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/minstrel/oldvirginnyfr.html

            Thank you kindly!

            The problem is caused by confusion between the former (postwar)
            Virginia "Carry Me Back..." anthem and the one of the 1860s,
            which was totally different and titled "Carry Me Back to Old
            Virginia's Shore." (Which was not inappropraite for a recrossing
            of the Potomac!) The band version is on one of the readily
            available tape compilations, which I can dig up if interested.

            Dave Gaddy

            > Gang;
            >
            > While doing some supplemental research for my book manuscript,
            > came across the mention that, when Lee's army retreated across
            > the Potomac into Maryland, the soldiers demanded, and go, the
            > bands to play "Carry Me Back to Ol' Virginny".
            >
            > Upon some further investigation, what I was able to learn was
            > apparently it was written by a James Bland, an
            > African-American,
            > ca. 1875.
            >
            > I am currently reading a book about Generals Lee and Grant,
            > titled, "The Generals". When the Lee family left West Point
            > upon
            > completion of Lee's term as Superintendent there, in the rain,
            > the cadet band played the family to the waiting boat at the
            > wharf
            > to transport them back to New York for Virginia. The song the
            > cadet band played was the one mentioned above and the date was
            > the early 1850's.
            >
            > Apparently it was a well enough known song for the cadet band
            > at
            > West Point to know and play. So, why the discrepancy in the
            > recorded usages of the song with when the song was supposedly
            > composed?

            > from
            > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • flagflop
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
              Gerry: That's it.
              Dave G.

              > Dear Dave,
              >
              > Apropos to your earlier email, would you review the attached link
              > and inform me if this is the song you referred to:
              >
              > http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/minstrel/oldvirginnyfr.html
              >
              > Thank you kindly!

            • flagflop
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                Gerry,
                That's it.
                Dave

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                  Thanks!

                  A huge difference between the 1875 song and that one.

                  > Apropos to your earlier email, would you review the attached
                  > link
                  > and inform me if this is the song you referred to:
                  >
                  > http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/minstrel/oldvirginnyfr.html
                  >
                  > Thank you kindly!

                  > from

                • flagflop
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                    Gerry,
                    The older one is pretty tacky to my eye and ear -- I suspect they only sang the chorus on the march, or even had a "soldier's version" of the verses. (Appreciate your calling my attn to the URL -- I've marked it.) The "modern one" is more appealing to me, but, what the hey!
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                      It's possible they sang only the chorus... but knowing the
                      soldiers...they most likely would have sung the entire song.
                      After all, that is what they did with "My Maryland" at the start
                      of the campaign.