Lost Order

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2010
      I think just on it's face, without all the other evidence, it would be
      hard for me to believe Lee planted the orders:

      One, what are the odds an enlisted man would pick up three cigars and
      the paper and give them to his CO? I probably wouldn't.

      Second, what are the odds that the private picking up the paper would
      even be literate? I could see him putting it in his pack for later use
      at the latrine if he couldn't read it.

      Third, how would Lee know that the orders had been found? Wouldn't you
      have to have that information to act?

      Dave McGowan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2010
        Dave,

        Harsh makes a convincing case that something important happened
        to make Lee realize the passes at South Mountain were in danger,
        especially Turner's and Fox's. Stuart said he provided
        information from a Southern sympathizer that Mac had come across
        something about the rebel army that got him very excited.

        However, Harsh also says that Lee really does not do anything
        until he receives a panicked dispatch from D H Hill saying
        basically "the entire whole d___ Yankee army is heading right at
        me!" and then dispatching Longstreet from Hagerstown. This
        happens very early on the morning of September 14th. As it is, it
        is a forced march and all the divisions in Longstreet's command
        arrive at South Mountain much reduced in strength and are just
        barely able to hold the two passes (Turner's and Fox's) as a sort
        of relief for D H Hill's weary men.

        At Crampton's Gap, it is a different story. Franklin absolutely
        smashes through and gets into Pleasant Valley. If he had kept
        going, he would have been in Lee's rear.

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
          This program has been postponed until March 11th, due to the weather.

          FYI:

          Cheltenham Township Historical Commission Presents “Black Soldiers in Blue” a video documentary about Camp William Penn (the largest training camp for African American Soldiers during the Civil War), and the United States Colored Troops (USCTs).   To be held on Thursday 2/11/10 at Curtis Hall, 8pm, 1250 W. Church Rd, Wyncote, Pa (just 2-3 blocks north of the Philadelphia border).   Following the video, on hand will be Warren Bass, the filmmaker, Jim Paradis, historian and narrator, and the 3 rd USCT reenactors.     Admission is FREE.
          Paula