Re: [TalkAntietam] Special Order 191: Ruse of War? Addenum 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010
      As to Ryan's description of what constitutes a General Order vs a
      Special Order, he only gets half of the definition of a Special
      Order right. A Special Order in broad terms can be anything not
      needing to be promulgated to the army "as a whole". Therefore,
      any subordinate commands being sent on missions -- there were at
      least five subordinate commands IIRC (McLaws, Anderson, Jackson,
      D H Hill, Walker and Longstreet) -- would receive copies of the
      Special Order pertaining to them.

      For more information on this difference, see "Buff Facings and
      Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in the Army of
      Northern Virginia, 1861-1865" by J. Boone Bartholomees. It is a
      standard work on the subject of the different types of staff and
      headquarters operations and their functions, etc.

      Hope this helps also!