Re: [TalkAntietam] Special Order 191: Ruse of War?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2010

      Personally I think that is a crock.

      If Lee "had" personally taken efforts to plant SO 191, he would
      not have been so upset when D H Hill wrote an article on SO191
      being beneficial to the ANVa; see "Finale" chapter to TATF, pg.
      480 supra.

      Also, regarding the loss of SO191, you might want to see what
      Harsh says earlier in TATF as well as his research companion
      volume, Sounding the Shallows.

      As to the "copy" the author of the MHO piece speaks of, could it
      be possibly one that someone on Gen JEB Stuart;s staff might have
      dropped? Stuart's command, and especially Hampton, were the last
      Confederates to leave the Frederick area. If this is what
      happened, it would explain the relatively undamaged condition of
      the order.

      Ryan does make some interesting points but again, I tend to
      follow Harsh's studies on the question.